Jaw Treatment in Racine WI – How to Get Rid of Painful TMJ Migraines
You’re going about your day, when suddenly your head starts throbbing. Sharp pains run up and down your neck and jaw. Any light seems blaring, even blinding, making your symptoms worse. Your stomach churns whenever you move. These are the symptoms of a painful, debilitating TMJ migraine. Thankfully, you can find jaw pain relief in Racine Wisconsin.
Common Jaw Pain Causes and Symptoms of TMJ Migraines
There are many different types of headaches and migraines. How can you distinguish between one of those issues and a TMJ issue?
Here are some of the symptoms that are more typical of a TMJ migraine than a headache:
- Pain on one or both sides of the head/face
- Sensitivity to light, sounds and smells
- Auras (or changes in vision, like seeing dark halos)
These symptoms can be experienced all at the same time or individually.
Migraines of the Temporomandibular Jaw Joint (or TMJ) happen because of malocclusion or bone structure issues, which causes strain on the joint as well as the muscles surrounding it. The strain causes pain throughout the jaw, head and neck. It can also contribute to tooth sensitivity and dental problems, like cracked, chipped or broken teeth.
Finding TMJ Migraine and Jaw Pain Relief in Wisconsin
Once you’ve determined that your issue is a TMJ migraine, the next thing you want to know is how to get rid of it. Luckily, there are ways you can control your pain and find jaw pain relief.
- Rest if you can. Sometimes the best thing you can do for yourself is to lay or sit still in a dark room.
- Try ice and / or heat. Ice reduces inflammation, while heat opens constricted blood vessels. Find what works best for you – some people find more relief with ice, while others prefer heat. Or, you can try both: put heat on your forehead, and ice on your jaw or neck. You can also alternate: find the area where you’re experiencing the most discomfort, place ice on it for 15 minutes, then place heat on it for 15 minutes.
- Ask someone to give you a gentle massage. Getting those muscles to relax is very important.
- Prevent another incident. Avoid chewing gum, crunchy vegetables or big sandwiches / burgers as these can put strain on your TMJ.
Jaw Treatment in Racine WI – We’re Here to Help!
One of the best things you can do is to see your dentist, like Dr. Westman. We focus on jaw treatment in Wisconsin and can give you tips to prevent further issues. In addition, we can help you with your current jaw pain relief by a variety of dental procedures, including orthodontics and bite adjustments. Contact us today to find out how we can help you prevent TMJ migraines.