Is A Dental Exam Really Worth The Time And Cost?
The uncontested answer from this Racine dental office is YES. Regular preventive care in the form of dental check-ups and professional cleanings is one of the most cost effective ways to invest in your oral health.
By catching problems while they are still small, Dr Westman can help you avoid the potential of more painful symptoms and more costly or invasive dental treatments down the road.
What Does The Dentist Look For During A Dental Exam?
Dental diseases and decay can put your oral health at risk. Left untreated, they can lead to pain, tooth loss and health issues. Here a list of common dental problems Dr Westman will be looking for during your dental exam:
- Tooth Decay: Tooth decay or cavities are common oral health problems caused by a combination of factors including bacteria, plaque, eating sugary snacks and poor oral hygiene
- Gingivitis: Gingivitis is inflammation of the gums. Often caused by plaque, it can cause chronic bad breath and, left untreated, lead to gum disease
- Periodontal Disease: Also known as gum disease, periodontal disease is one of the most common oral health problems in North American adults. Untreated gum disease can cause tooth loss and general health problems.
- Oral Cancer: Oral cancer is the abnormal growth of cells in your throat, tongue, lips or mouth. If can be life-threatening if not detected and treated early.
- TMJ Dysfunction: A basic dental exam screens for TMJ problems that could be causing discomfort or damage right now or in the future. If indicated, Dr. Westman may perform a comprehensive TMJ/TMD evaluation.
Early Detection And Treatment Is Key
Dental disease can sneak in undetected. While oral cancer does offer up clues such as a persistent sore throat, or lumps, rough or red spots on your lips or tongue or in your mouth, in many cases by the time you are aware of an issue it will have progressed to the point where more costly and aggressive treatment may be required.
Regular oral dental exams are a simple way to help you keep on top of dental issues to maintain your best oral health.
Keep Your Teeth Healthy
Losing teeth is NOT an inevitable aspect of aging. Regular dental exams can help you keep your teeth for life – one of the best strategies for keeping your oral health at its best. If you would like to learn more please contact us.