For many people, going to the dentist stinks. There, we said it.The truth is, your dentist is much more than someone who just fixes or cleans and teeth. Your dentist can also help you tackle many different health issues.
What type of health issues do your teeth create?
Stress is big in today’s world. Some of the issues related with stress are:
- lack of sleep
- neck pain
- migraines or headaches
- tense, stiff or sore shoulders.
If you have any of these challenges and leave them untreated, your life can become very unpleasant. They can put a strain on your overall health, your relationships, and your quality of life.
The cause of these issues can be a malfunctioning Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ). Your TMJ, or jaw joint works like the other joints in your body, bones, muscles and nerves help it move. When the joint doesn’t function properly, the result can be muscle strain and nerve pain. Since the pain is soft tissue related, it can radiate to other parts of your body, making the root cause difficult to diagnose.
How do you solve TMJ related issues?
When it comes to a TMJ disorder, you may want to see a dentist who specializes in TMJ. Why? Because TMJ is so complex, the best treatment is rooted in an accurate diagnosis. This usually involves specialized equipment and a good understanding of the principle of neuromuscular dentistry.
So, how do you find a TMJ dentist?
To find a dentist that specializes with TMJ may seem like a daunting task, especially if have a little bit of anxiety about your disorder.
- The first option is through the referral process. Your general dentist can refer you to a specialist and usually will know someone that is one of the best TMJ specialists.
- Your insurance provider may be able help you find a dentist that specializes in TMJ if they keep a list of dentists they have worked with in the past.
- Family, friends and neighbors are also good references. Especially if if one of them is, or has been, a TMJ sufferer.
- Angie’s List, Yelp and Real Self are websites that allow patients to review dentists. These sites allow you to go beyond your circle of personal contacts and tap into a larger world.
Love your dentist
Going to the dentist is not as bad as most people think. They can help you with many problems, including such disorders as sleep apnea and TMJ. Are you looking for a TMJ dentist? If you are, please come in for a complimentary consultation to find out what TMJ and Sleep Disorder Solutions can do for you.